Assigning the correct condition to each item you list on Amazon.com is the first step toward providing a great customer experience. It’s important to make a careful assessment of your item before specifying its condition.
Using condition types helps you to list offerings in a range of conditions. For many product lines, seller offerings in multiple conditions help to expand the buying choices available to customers. When buyers view a product page, they see a generic product description along with a set of buying choices. Links on the product page lead to offers in “used & new” condition. Listings are displayed on the offer listing page for each product and are grouped to allow buyers to sort and select seller offerings by condition or price.
While you can specify a condition type for a given product, the available condition types vary across categories. Additionally, certain categories only allow listings for new products.
The following guidelines apply to all product categories unless otherwise indicated in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines:
- New: Just like it sounds. A brand-new, unused, unopened item in its original packaging, with all original packaging materials included. Original protective wrapping, if any, is intact. Original manufacturer’s warranty, if any, still applies, with warranty details included in the listing comments.
- Refurbished: Use only if noted in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines. A refurbished product has been professionally restored to working order. Typically this means that the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications. The item may or may not be in its original packaging. The manufacturer’s or refurbisher’s warranty must apply and should be included in the listing comments. Refurbished items are sometimes referred to as “remanufactured.”
- Used – Like New: An apparently untouched item in perfect condition. Original protective wrapping may be missing, but the original packaging is intact and pristine. There are absolutely no signs of wear on the item or its packaging. Instructions are included. Item is suitable for presenting as a gift.
- Used – Very Good: A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly.
- Used – Good: Use only if noted in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines. The item shows wear from consistent use, but it remains in good condition and works perfectly. It may be marked, have identifying markings on it, or show other signs of previous use.
- Used – Acceptable: Use only if noted in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines. The item is fairly worn but continues to work perfectly. Signs of wear can include aesthetic issues such as scratches, dents, and worn corners. The item may have identifying markings on it or show other signs of previous use.